Worth the Time

Monday, August 15, 2005

Honesty's policy

Recently, I've been faced with various forms of honesty and the deceit surrounding the virtue. One of my favorite things to say when I would get caught in a complicated web of information was, "I didn't lie, I just didn't tell the whole truth." Even now, I still use this theory, "I told you I had been tested, I just didn't tell you I tested positive."

However, this theory should not be applied to all situations. If you are dating someone and that person doesn't tell you he is married or dating another, he's a scumbag piece of crap I hope rots in hell and his children are cursed with poor athletic skills and his wife never laughs at his jokes and his hair falls out by 32. Not that it's just recently happened to me or anything and a reason I write this post... rotten bastard. But, I digress...

There are varying degrees of honesty. My friends, they get my complete honesty... sometimes, to a fault. There are friends who can take it and those who cannot, but that is something learned through friendship. My friends know I can take it, for the most part, but also know my hot buttons and don't dare tread in those flesh-eating parasite infested waters.

In some instances, honesty is unnecessary. A couple days ago, I honestly told someone that I would not give an honest assessment of something. The response was, "That's bullshit, Nicole." This response is the other reasons for this post. Here's my rationale: Let's say I knit a sweater. (stay with me on this, I have a point) I have given everything I had into this sweater; it's my blood, sweat, and tears and I am very proud of it. I do not want someone telling me it sucks, especially someone I only vaguely know. I feel everyone is entitled to that kind of respect. It is not a matter of liking or disliking something, it's a matter of appreciating the work that went into it. I like Chicago-style pizza for the same reason.... well, that and the eight layers of gooey goodness.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home