Worth the Time

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Free Lunch

Today's schedule: meetings, meetings, meetings, LUNCH!!, more meetings. Oh, did I mention the lunch was free?!? Maybe it's because I am still relatively fresh out of college or maybe it's just a feeling of self-worth, but I'm not sure why I get so excited about a free lunch. Ok, it's safe to say that the fact that food is involved is pretty exciting regardless. In college, one or both of my parents would be in town and take me and my friends out for a meal, their treat of course. Hearing the news of my parents' offer was as if the heavens above had opened up, ready to shower us with steak, appetizers, and even dessert. But, that was in college... and we all know what college eating is like. Now, I am a professional... fine, maybe "professional" is a stretch; let's just say I have a job. I am paid fairly and I have no problem picking up a tab or two when I am out with friends. And yet... I still like sucking dick. Wait, what?!? And yet... I still cream when someone offers to take me out for a free meal. Sorry fellas, I don't cream over a free meal when we are going out on a date, that is an expectation... and yes, I know you have your own expectations. You know, I think I just solved my mystery - the excitement of a free lunch (at work in particular) comes from getting something unexpected. It's like winning a raffle or the lottery. (The author recognizes that a free lunch is probably NOTHING like winning the lottery, but go with it, you bugfaces.) It's breaking free from the binds of routine and in my case, getting something (read lunch) for nothing (read work productivity).

Speaking of work, I should get back to this meeting. I have no doubt they think I am typing some notes... or they just don't care. I also have no doubt I am the best (and most beautiful) engineer they've ever worked with... ego withstanding.

4 Comments:

  • At 11/08/2005 9:09 PM, Blogger The Big Cheese said…

    Lunch always reminds me of food...fooooodd.

     
  • At 11/09/2005 7:23 AM, Blogger Alex said…

    You know, when they said "There's no such thing as a free lunch..." - well, they were wrong. I love free lunch - it's like a little suprise bonus every now and then.

    At my office - we get donuts on Thursdays. Oh, how I love Thursdays.

     
  • At 11/09/2005 8:27 AM, Blogger The (IRON) Clyde said…

    Being in sales we get free lunch all the time by vendors who want us to sell their shit, as "routine" as it is, I still get a semi-chubby everytime the weekly list is sent out. This week was particularily awesome.

    Monday - fend for my own
    Tuesday - Ribs and Chicken
    Wednesday - Lou Malnati's (and if you don't know, this is my absolute favorite pizza, I would hit an old lady in a crosswalk if she was in between me and my Lou's.)
    Thursday - Lou Malnati's - fuck yeah I can double dip, although this one is across the road at our other building, I can sneak in and get some.
    Friday - Pasta and Chicken

    I am starting to sweat just thinking about this......

     
  • At 11/09/2005 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Soon you will become spoiled like me. Any meeting that occurs any where near breakfast, lunch, and snack time or runs longer then 30 minutes, I am leading the campaign for food, drinks and breaks.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home