Worth the Time

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

I got one in today!

It's pretty weak, but I got it in... (wow, this is so out of context than where I meant for that statement to go, but I'm pretty sure I had a boyfriend say that to me in bed once after a long night of drinking).

My friend was in town with members of her dental school class attending a conference. When I was introduced, everyone was pretty casual about it, cordial hellos and smiles all around. But then my friend mentioned that I was the person who has taken her on the trips to foreign locales and the reaction by the group after that statement was a much more animated one, a “Oooooohhhh, she’s That friend.” And I say That in the least lesbianish way possible. I smiled but it was weird because at that moment, I felt the group looking at me… critiquing my appearance, my style, my everything. It was very uncomfortable and a strange feeling. And you know the really sick part, I do the same damn thing. When I find out some weird or intimate detail about a person’s life, I mentally analyze and judge the things they say/have said and do/done, even the clothes they wear to try to figure out if I could’ve guessed that weird detail. Like when people say, “You know, Nicole used to be pretty, back when she was a ‘User’” and the response is usually “oh, that explains the ill-fitting t-shirts and cutting scars,” followed up by the subtle glances to one another when I bring up stories about the the good 'ol days.

2 Comments:

  • At 3/07/2006 7:01 PM, Blogger songbird said…

    Angst? My grandma just died and my sister's boyfriend might be schizophrenic. Grrr It sounds like a soap opera, but its actually my life. But thanks for your comment!

     
  • At 3/08/2006 9:15 PM, Blogger Nicole said…

    You going on a trip? -Because you got a lot of baggage.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home